Everyone Wants an Explainer Video
This is the first of a series of posts I'm going to do on the subject of creating an explainer video. To kick things off, I want to share with you all of my resources I've collected on the subject, including:
- Providers of video explainer production services
- Loads of examples
- Pricing (where available)
- My thoughts and notes
- Freelancers and independant providers
- Tips and Techniques
It has to be said, this is a very interesting area of video production, digital communication, motion graphics, marketing - whatever you want to label it.
The rise of the Explainer Video is quite staggering, and has become necessary for anyone with a technology startup to have in their basic marketing toolkit - for new customers, for potential investors, for prospective employees. But, not just technology, real worldy, traditional companies like builders, accountants, solicitors, hairdressers and estate agents are getting in on the act too.
With a very limited budget, every startup entrepreneur will face similar challenges:
- How to communicate my complex idea in a simple, entertaining and compelling way?
- How do I afford to get this actually produced - prices and quality in the marketplace vary hugely?
- Where do I start? - Script, Music, Sounds, Graphics, Animation, Production, Copy, Effects?
- How do I know the end product will be what I want?
- I want a viral video - how do I get that? (ha)
I asked myself all these (sometimes dumb) questions and more, and then decided that it was such an important thing to get right, I repeat
to communicate complex messages in a simple and entertaining way
I would go ahead and learn to do it myself, since the investment I make in myself would stand me in good stead for the future.
So armed with my relatively new found passion for Adobe After Effects (yes, I'm taking this very seriously), some ideas and a new microphone I'm embarking on a mission, and I hope you'll join me in figuring this stuff out...